Green Bonds Summary Info
Climate bonds (also known as green bonds) are fixed-income financial instruments (bonds) linked in some way to climate change solutions.
Climate bonds are a relatively new asset class, but they are growing rapidly. Given below are some links to more information about climate / green bonds:
1) Climate Bonds Initiative is an international, investor-focused not-for-profit. We’re the only organisation working solely on mobilising the $100 trillion bond market for climate change solutions.
2) Green Bonds issued in 2018 Total: $168.5bn & Expected Green Bonds issued in 2019: $250bn.
3) Paris Climate Bond by Climate Mundial (an enhanced version of a green bond).
4) Some members of Toronto Finance International (The Hub of Canada’s Financial Sector) can help issue a green bond in Canada.
5) Potential buyers of a green bond for “green” transit projects:
a) Institutional investors who are part of Toronto Finance International (For example, World Bank recently raise $1B in Canada)
b) Signers of the 2018 Global Investor Statement To Governments On Climate Change, which represent more than USD $32 trillion in assets.
c) Organizations and individuals that have pledged to divest from oil, gas and coal and re-invest in climate solutions now exceed $8 trillion dollars. To view a full list of organizations that have said they have or will DivestInvest is available to download here.
d) Signers of the Giving Pledge, which was founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. As of May 2019, the pledge has 204 signatories, either individuals or couples, from 22 different countries. Most of the signatories of the pledge are billionaires and their pledges total over $500 billion.