Combined Solar PV System with Energy Storage and Late-Night Recharging
As a result of new very-low overnight electricity rates (2.4 cents per KWh) in Ontario, reduced costs of solar PV modules and energy storage and the new 30% federal tax credit for this type of equipment, homeowners and businesses can save considerable money by installing a solar system with battery-based energy storage. Shown below is short slideshow that includes a simplified schematic of this arrangement along with a simple graph that illustrates how you can make use of this battery twice a day.
1) Link to Google Slideshow: Combined Solar PV System with Energy Storage and Late-Night Recharging at 2.4 cents/kWh in Ontario.
2) Summary Factsheet: Combined Solar PV System with Energy Storage and Late-Night Recharging at 2.4 cents/kWh in Ontario.
3) Google Sheet: Calcs for Combined Solar PV System with Energy Storage and Late-Night Recharging at 2.4 cents/kWh in Ontario – Not complete. Will be updated soon.
4) Hydro Bill Calculator by the Ontario Energy Board: Hydro One Networks Inc. – General Service Energy Billed
5) Article about new lower electrical rates:
Ontario.ca: Ontario Launches New Ultra-Low Overnight Electricity Price Plan Province’s third electricity price plan will offer a new option to reduce energy costs, April 11, 2023
• The new optional Ultra-Low Overnight price plan provides:
• Ultra-low overnight rate of 2.4 cents per kWh: everyday 11 p.m.-7 a.m.
• Mid-peak rates of 10.2 cents per kWh: weekdays 7 a.m.-4 p.m. and 9 p.m.-11 p.m.
• On-peak rates of 24.0 cents per kWh: weekdays 4 p.m.-9 p.m.
• Weekend off-peak rates of 7.4 cents per kWh: weekends and statutory holidays 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
6) Also possibility to store energy as ice. See below info:
a) Ice storage air conditioning
b) Here are commercial ice-storage systems:
7) Solar systems on farms can be combined with agriculture as outlined in the articles below:
a) Video: How Solar Panels Are Changing Agriculture – Agrivoltaics Revisited
b) pv-magazine: Agrivoltaics for arable crops, Sep. 14, 2022 – French developer TSE has commissioned its first agrivoltaic pilot project in northeastern France. The 2.4 MW installation spans 3 hectares and is installed on arable land devoted to the cultivation of soya, wheat, rye, barley, and rapeseed.
c) Wiki Page on Agrivoltaics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrivoltaics
8) Selected Battery Storage Options:
a) Canadian Solar presents all-in-one residential battery inverter solution, Sept 22, 2022 The new product is available in four versions with a storage capacity ranging from 9.9 to 19.9 kWh. The battery inverter comes with a 10-year warranty and can reportedly provide steady operation for up to 6,000 charge cycles.
b) Battery Overview & Technology Next Generation Technology by Soneil International, Soneil Group of Companies, Brampton, ON, Tel: +1 905-565-0360, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
c) Home energy storage wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_energy_storage
d) Solar Energy Technologies Office – Solar-Plus-Storage 101 – MARCH 11, 2019
e) EnerVenue Nickel-Hydrogen Battery; Wiki: Nickel–hydrogen battery; Article: $100m for its grid energy storage technology (Nickel-Hydrogen)
f) Tesla Utility-Scale Energy Storage – Lithium-Ion Battery
g) FlexGen Power Systems
h) Form Energy – Iron-air battery; Video Review: Just Have a Think: Iron-Air Battery, Aug 1, 2021
i) ESS Inc. – Iron Flow Battery
9) Links to Climate related funding:
a) Financial incentives for implementing clean technologies: https://climatesan.org/combine-complementary-tech-to-maximize-impact/#S11
b) Gov’t Canada Document: Chapter3: A Made-In-Canada Plan: Affordable Energy, Good Jobs, and a Growing Clean Economy
c) Canada introduces 30% refundable investment tax credits for energy storage By Andy Colthorpe, November 4, 2022
d) Canadian Investment Tax Credits for Clean Technologies and Clean Hydrogen Announced in 2022 Fall Economic Statement, November 15, 2022
e) CleanTechNorth: Webinar Recording: New Clean Technology Tax Credits – Part 2: The Budget & How They Will Work, Apr 5, 2023
f) CleanTechNorth: Webinar Recording: New Tax Credits for Clean Technologies – Part 1: What We Anticipate, February 9, 2023
g) 30% Canadian Investment Tax Credits for Clean Technologies By Alysha, Jan. 12, 2023
10) Some companies that provide commercial scale solar systems in Ontario:
a) Global Point Energy, Peterborough, ON | Telephone: 705-741-2300 | Email: email@example.com
b) iSolara, Ottawa, ON | Telephone: 613-738-2646 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
c) Guelph Solar, Guelph, ON | Telephone: 519.804.0757 | Email: email@example.com
d) Toews Power, Kirkton, ON | Telephone: (519) 229-6108 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org